In this video, you’ll learn see some more activities using Google Apps for your language classes.
For more resources on learning and teaching languages, to get on our mailing list, or to get the workbook for this course, be sure to visit RealLifeLanguage.com/reallifelanguageblog. If you are listening to this episode, don’t forget to subscribe and leave us a rating.
We live in an extraordinary era for language enthusiasts, learners, and teachers. Never before have we had such easy access to authentic language and culture. Thanks to platforms like YouTube, which I believe is the world’s third-largest search engine, we can explore a wealth of video content suitable for learners at any level.
Videos offer a diverse range of language learning opportunities. Here are some ideas to make the most of them:
- Dance lessons: Dance tutorials are an excellent way to engage with the culture of the target language. Whether it’s Merengue, Salsa, or any other dance style, these free tutorials serve as great brain breaks during your language learning sessions.
- Exercise videos: Look for exercise videos in your target language. Even a quick five-minute routine can get you up and moving while providing language input. This is especially beneficial for language learners who prefer a kinesthetic approach.
- Songs: Listening to songs in the background introduces you to the target language’s culture and its current music scene. It’s not only enjoyable but also provides conversation points and exposure to different musical genres.
- Commercials: Commercials in the target language are fantastic for discussing products, practices, and perspectives of the people who speak that language. Analyzing commercials together can be an insightful and entertaining language learning activity.
- City walks: With the advent of pandemic-related travel restrictions, people started recording city walks worldwide. Watching these videos immerses you in different places, allowing you to explore and absorb the cultural ambiance. It’s like taking a virtual tour and experiencing new locations from the comfort of your home.
In addition to videos, there are some useful Chrome extensions that can enhance your language learning experience:
- ReadLang: This powerful Chrome extension makes reading in your target language comprehensible. By hovering over words, you can quickly learn their meanings, create flashcards, and receive reading suggestions tailored to your language level.
- Language Learning with Netflix: This Chrome extension transforms your Netflix account into a language learning laboratory. It provides language-specific subtitles, pop-up translations, and other helpful features to enhance your comprehension while enjoying your favorite shows and movies.
Furthermore, Google Meet now allows you to customize your background during video calls. Take advantage of this feature by selecting images of places you aspire to visit. It’s an excellent way to bring target language culture into your virtual meetings and conversations.
Lastly, Quizlet is a popular platform among language teachers and learners. While it primarily offers study sets, Quizlet Live turns the learning process into an exciting game. With the app’s QR code feature, students can form teams or compete individually, making vocabulary and concept learning highly engaging.
Videos and related tools provide a dynamic and immersive learning experience. Incorporating them into your language learning routine expands your exposure to language, culture, and real-world situations. So, dive into the vast array of videos available, explore different topics, and enrich your language learning journey.
Embrace the world of videos and enjoy the incredible language learning opportunities it brings.
If you teach languages, you probably love languages, too. However, our students don’t always love it so much. With all of the hard parts, who can blame them? In this free guide, I share 25 activities that can be used to teach any language and can be adapted to any level. Get yours here https://real-life-language.ck.page/200491762e
We live in the most exciting time to learn a language, and it is getting more exciting every day. If you want to master another language, I share my framework for learning any language in this free masterclass here. Grab your spot here https://webinarkit.com/webinar/registration/61323588c0063e00188e17a8